Coconut oil is an extremely powerful natural cure and home remedy used for several conditions that the conventional medicinal treatments do not provide any relief. Whether used alone in pure organic form or in combination with other natural ingredients, coconut oil serves as an excellent cure for several ailments and is a cheaper treatment alternative too. In this article, let’s see how coconut oil can be used to minimize the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, psoriasis, and eczema.
The oil is the best-known immune system booster, when compared to any other liquid or food present. This is because it improves the white cell count in the blood. This positive trait makes it a favorable healing agent in many conditions.
Coconut oil provides several amazing benefits when used both internally and externally. The oil is highly nutritious and is made of saturated fat mostly. It also has antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties.
The oil helps in increased mineral absorption and has excellent antioxidant property too. When used as a substitute for the regular sunflower or vegetable oil, it can give immense benefits.
One of the many uses of the oil is its effect in minimizing symptoms in conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, psoriasis, and eczema. Here are three effective ways in which coconut oil acts in the three conditions and brings about lasting relief.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome is caused by genetic, infectious, biological, and psychological factors making it impossible to find a definitive cure. The symptoms include headaches, muscle aches, nausea, fatigue, and gastrointestinal problems. These symptoms last for more than six months.
Fortunately, coconut oil, which is rich in lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid is effective in treating this debilitating condition in the following ways
- The antimicrobial effect of the oil helps to destroy the harmful organisms that sap the body energy and cause the fatigue.
- Since the medium chain fatty acids are absorbed and digested easily, they are converted to energy instead of body fat. This leads to relief from the fatigue.
- Virgin Coconut Oil is the purest and best source of medium chain fatty acids and saturated fats needed by the body. These body fats are vital for increasing metabolism and easy digestion resulting in eliminating sugar dependence and drops in energy, which cause tiredness.
Coconut oil for eczema treatment
Eczema denotes inflammation of skin and formation of dry patches on the epidermal layer of skin in the neck, cheeks, forearms, and legs. This condition causes plenty of itching and physical discomfort and in some cases open wounds too.
While the condition cannot be cured, its severity can be reduced with the help of the healing properties of coconut oil in the following ways
- The inflammation and itching sensation in eczema is soothed by the anti-fungal, antioxidant, antimicrobial, and antibacterial effect of coconut oil.
- The flaking and itching in eczema is decreased and the skin is repaired and nourished with the help of the ingredients in coconut oil such as lauric acid, caprylic acid, vitamin K and Vitamin E. Lauric acid helps in moisturizing the skin and protecting it from damage due to free radicals and environmental damage hence treating eczema effectively.
- Coconut oil boosts the immune system enabling better repair and healing of the affected skin tissue in eczema.
Using organic form of virgin coconut oil gives the best benefits in eczema. The coconut oil can be applied externally alone or in combination with rosemary oil and vitamin E oil. Coconut oil is also equally effective when added to the diet in foods, drinks, and smoothies.
Both internal and external addition of coconut oil helps in supplying the body with the vital minerals, vitamins, and fats needed for healthy functioning of immune system. This helps in fighting against the condition effectively. Regular addition of the oil helps to reduce severity of the condition as a result.
Coconut oil in psoriasis treatment
Oils in spite of having moisturizing properties are not used much in skin care as they can cause acne bouts due to the clogging of pores and formation of rashes. But oils generally have soothing effect on the skin and hence are used in treatment of skin conditions.
Coconut oil especially provides more benefits, as it produces the least blockage of pores and does not cause any allergic reaction. Further, it has powerful skin care properties and works wonders in skin disorders such as psoriasis.
Psoriasis is a chronic and non-contagious skin condition caused when the immune system in your body identifies its own cells as pathogens and increases skin cell production leading to patches of silvery white skin.
The condition is common in elbows and knees, but can occur in other parts of the body as minor or massive patches too.
The condition is also visible and very unsightly leading to lowered self-esteem and depression. While there is no specific treatment or cure for the condition, coconut oil can provide needed relief in persons suffering from the condition. Here are three ways in which this is brought about.
- Healing effect: The fatty acid ingredients in virgin coconut oil help in replenishing the deficient fatty acid levels in the skin leading to better healing and protection from environmental damage and worsening of psoriasis
- Anti-inflammatory: Coconut oil helps in production of anti-inflammatory hormones, which reduce the inflammation caused in psoriasis. The skin also looks younger and healthier.
- Fights against infections and free radicals: Kinetin a growth factor is present in coconut. This antioxidant helps in healing the damage caused by free radicals. It also repairs cell DNA. In addition to fighting free radicals, mono-glycerides in coconut oil have anti- viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties and antiseptic properties too leading to better protection from infections, which can cause inflamed skin and psoriasis outbreaks or exacerbation of existing psoriasis.
While using coconut oil to get the maximum benefits ensure you use extra virgin organic form of coconut oil. The oil should be in unrefined form as refined oil does not retain the original fragrance and taste of the unrefined oil.
Further, refined oil does not contain as many beneficial properties as the pure form has. For best benefits, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil should be taken daily either in raw form, or used in cooking, instead of the usual butter or oil.
More About : Coconut Oil Benefits, Coconut Oil Uses, Coconut Milk Recipes, Coconut Milk Benefits, Coconut Health Benefits, Coconut Oil Recipes, Coconut Recipes, Coconut Benefits, Thai Coconut, Young Coconut