Coconut Oil For Teeth: Oil Pulling
Coconut Oil For Teeth? How can it help with oral hygiene? You may wonder. A traditional method of keeping healthy teeth and gums is the alternative medicine of using coconut oil. Also known as oil swishing or oil pulling, this method involves rinsing your mouth with a tablespoon of coconut oil.
You have to swirl the coconut oil around all corners of your mouth for at least 3 minutes up to a maximum period of 20 minutes, spit the oil afterwards. You must practice this technique daily to maintain your oral health.
You must be wondering why you should use coconut oil to rinse your mouth. That is because coconut oil has several antimicrobial properties that remove harmful bacteria from your mouth to keep your gums and teeth healthy.
The use of coconut oil has gained widespread popularity across the globe by several dentists and oral health practitioners.
Benefits of Oil Pulling
The process of oil pulling cleans your oral cavity; coconut oil sticks to the harmful toxins and bacteria present in your mouth and remove it completely preventing oral diseases and cavity problems in your teeth.
The process was initially developed in India, but it has been widely accepted in the United States as well. The benefits of this traditional method include:
- Treats problems of bad breath
- Helps in curing tooth decay
- Cures bleeding of gums
- Reduces inflammation of gums
- Heals dryness in your throat
- Sparkling white teeth
- Avoids cavity problems in teeth
- Enhances the immunity levels
- Strong jaws and gums
- Repairs chapped lips
Oil Pulling Using Coconut Oil
There are several natural methods of maintaining your oral health. However, coconut oil is the best natural ingredient to use for oil pulling.
Coconut oil comprises essential medium chain triglycerides such as capric acid, lauric acid, and caprylic acid that contain essential vitamins and minerals to promote healthy teeth and gums.
In addition, the essential fatty acids present in the natural super food contain antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties that contributes to the overall health of an individual.
The different health benefits of coconut oil include:
- It maintains a steady balance in the hormonal functions
- It fights the harmful attack of Candida yeast
- Since, coconut oil is easily absorbed in the body cells, it improves the overall digestive system.
- It avoids the risk of developing cellulites
- Coconut oil penetrates deep into your skin and moisturizes it.
- The oil reduces the aging properties of your skin.
- It helps in proper blood circulation and maintains a stable level of blood sugar.
- It improves the metabolic rate and increases energy levels of an individual
- Coconut oil is a great method of losing the excess fat.
You can avail these benefits of coconut oil by performing the following steps of oil pulling.
Step 1: You must perform oil pulling immediately after waking up in the morning. You must not eat, drink, or brush teeth.
Step 2: Swirl one or two tablespoons coconut oil around all corners of your mouth. Keep the oil in your mouth for at least 10 minutes, you can continue the process up to 20 minutes.
Step 3: Do not swallow the oil because it will contain the harmful bacteria.
Step 4: Avoid exerting excessive pressure on your cheeks and jaw.
Step 5: Spit the oil and rinse immediately using warm water. You may rinse with warm salted water because it will contain more antimicrobial properties.
Step 6: Now, you can continue brushing your teeth in the normal manner.
Ideally, you must repeat the process of oil pulling thrice or four times in a week to acquire the varied health benefits. You can also combine coconut oil with other essential oils to add more health benefits.
Coconut Oil For Teeth: Homemade Toothpaste
You can prepare this toothpaste at your home that will not contain glycerin or fluoride. The essential ingredients of this homemade toothpaste are coconut oil, baking soda, essential oils, and xylitol.
- Coconut oil contains the essential fatty acid, lauric acid that is a major source of antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Xylitol adds a sweet flavor to your toothpaste along with the addition of properties to fight harmful oral cavities. It also adds minerals to the human saliva and increases the pH value of your oral fluids.
- Baking soda helps in teeth whitening, plaque removal, acid neutralization and promotes healthy gums.
- The common essential oils used to prepare the homemade toothpaste include cinnamon, peppermint, and citrus oils that possess antibacterial properties.
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Baking soda – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Xylitol – 1 tbsp
- Essential oils – 10 drops of each oil
Put coconut oil in a glass jar. Take a pan filled with water and place the glass jar inside it. Heat the pan of water on low heat. Once the coconut oil melts, remove the pan from heat. Add baking soda into the oil; stir well. Put xylitol into the blender to powder it finely. Add xylitol powder into the mixture and mix well. Now, add the essential oils and keep the mixture aside to solidify. After few hours, stir the mixture to mix baking soda present at the bottom of the glass jar. Store the toothpaste in the glass jar and use it twice daily.
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Stevia powder – 2 pkts, small
- Baking soda – 2 or 3 tbsp
- Cinnamon/peppermint essential oil – 15 to 20 drops
- Myrrh extract – 10 drops (optional)
Mix all the ingredients with melted coconut oil; stir well several times to blend the ingredients thoroughly. Pour the mixture in a glass jar. Keep the jar aside for the mixture to become solid. Now the toothpaste is ready for use. Dip your toothbrush into the mixture and scrape little onto the bristles. Alternatively, you could also use a teaspoon to take out some amount of the toothpaste and apply it on your toothbrush.
Now you know why coconut oil for teeth is a wonderful thing that will ever happen to you. Start oil-pulling and using coconut oil paste and enjoy healthy oral hygiene.
More About : Coconut Oil Benefits, Coconut Oil Uses, Coconut Milk Recipes, Coconut Milk Benefits, Coconut Health Benefits, Coconut Oil Recipes, Coconut Recipes, Coconut Benefits, Thai Coconut, Young Coconut